Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saliva Happens!

One of the annoying symptoms of ALS is excess saliva.  Coupled with a weak mouth and trouble swallowing, it means I leak all the time. 

Before my surgery it wasn't too bad and I was typically taking one glycopyrolate tablet in the morning to give me pretty good saliva control for the entire day.  Now I take as many as 4 a day with limited saliva control.  I used to carry some paper towels around with me for occasional use.  Now I carry a hand towel everywhere and I just bought some cotton terry bibs because I am always dripping on my shirt and pants.  Gravity is not my friend.  When I am walking or standing and tilt my head down I usually leave saliva on the floor.

Frequently, when I laugh at something, I spray.  I hate this, but have no control over it. Kim has been the recipient of the worst of this, unfortunately.

Yesterday I had such a difficult time by dinner my lips were so chapped that it really hurt when I tried to eat dinner.  I put on several coats of Chapstick last night and it was a lot better this morning.

I received my Zoloft prescription yesterday and started taking it today to see if it will help with my pseudo bulbar affect and uncontrollable laughing and crying.

I finally got a haircut last night!  It had been 2 months and I refused to cut it until we sent hair in for a metals and minerals/antioxidant hair test, which we did earlier this week.  Kim is much happier because my hair looks a lot better (except for a few bald spots where Kim cut hair samples) and my eyebrows are no longer a Jumbled mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment