Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Quote about Living from the Dalai Lama

One of my Indian friends in the geospatial industry sent me an email this week about his father's heart bypass surgery and experience with the Indian healthcare system in Pune.  Srikant finished with a quote from the Dalai Lama that I felt was particularly poignant.

“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

It took me a long time to realize how precious life is and how I let it slip by every day without fully participating in it and taking advantage of being in the moment and mindful about how lucky we are and how loved we are. We get so caught up in the distractions of work, school, and personal problems or the news on TV that we forget why we are here and what is important!

The hugs, love, and time I share with Kim, family, and friends these days are mindful and I cherish those moments.  Yes, I am scared and lonely, and I know that my body is failing rapidly, yet I try to live in the moment, experience joy whenever I can, participate in decisions about our life and a new house, and try not too worry too much about tomorrow.

I try...  I am not always successful, and I get depressed and sad sometimes about what is happening to me/us.  Sometimes I have to turn off the TV because the news is too depressing.

I read a lot these days, and that helps me cope and escape.  I have been rereading some of my favorite authors and series like Stephen R. Donaldson, Dean Koontz, and others.  Right now I am reading the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Donaldson.  In addition, I am reading the Alcoholics Anonymous book that my brother gave me for Christmas and the Bible.

I also have some fabulous friends who come to visit and email regularly.  Ellen F. is coming tomorrow morning for another visit and to show me pictures from her european river boat cruise.  This past weekend Dave Spokane and his family drove down  from New Hampshire to visit their son in school in Williamsport and stayed for several hours.  I will have a  separate post with pictures this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment