Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Dentist Visit

Kim picked me up today at 11:30 to take me to my noon appointment with Dr. Carder, who was my dentist 20 years ago when we lived in State College.  I was very nervous because I have been grinding my teeth uncontrollably 24/7 for at least the last 6 months, and my allergies have been Terrible the past 2 weeks. My last dentist appointment was only 6 months ago, but my condition has radically changed since then.

When they took my blood pressure it was 150/102, very high!.

Because I have had a bad overbite all of my life, and ALS muscle deterioration has caused my lower jaw to recede, and I suffer from muscle spasms in my jaws, I grind my teeth uncontrollably 24/7.  I have a place on each side of my upper jaw where my lower teeth have worn away upper teeth and the lower ones now make contact with my gums.  I was very concerned that I would learn that I immediately needed to have some teeth pulled.  I am very happy to say that I do not!

Dr. Carder gave me a very thorough exam of teeth and muscles and determined that although worn, my teeth are still sound and he believes that I would benefit from physical therapy and massage.  Kim said that I looked 10 years younger and I left all smiles!  We have a referral to a practice in town to start therapy and I look  forward to receiving some relief from my chronic jaw and teeth pain!  Hopefully I will soon be able to open my mouth wider, then go back for a cleaning and other mouth care.

4 comments:

  1. That must have been a very painful experience, but it’s great to see that Dr. Carder knows what to do and even advised you to take a physical therapy and massage. It would truly help you ease the pain whenever you would accidentally grind your teeth. Thanks for sharing the experience, and I hope you get better.

    Dorothy Payne @ Dr. Monica Crooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how painful teeth grinding can be. My dentist had me fitted with a custom bite plate to wear at night when I slept. When I returned for my regular recheck and showed him the plastic mouth piece, he couldn't believe it. It looked like someone had taken a knife to it. It's saving my teeth!

    Felipe Roberson @ Philly Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teeth grinding is a tough experience. Something so simple as our teeth can cause so much discomfort and distress. Teeth grinding is usually a sign of stress and anxiety, which I'm sure you know. Obviously you have quite a bit on your mind which may be leading to the teeth grinding. I wish you well getting through it.

    Sharon Woods @ Fall Spark Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear this, really sounds like a very painful experience to under go. My son recently had to go for a root canal and he was under a lot of strain both physically and mentally. My husband takes to the dentists much better, he really has a high pain threshold and can deal with a lot more than I.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete