Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Update

It's been over a week since my last post, and I have no excuse!

Last week we started home health care 2 days a week, Monday and Thursday mornings from 8:30-12:30.  My aide's name is Stacie, she is 23 and lives in Spring Mills, about 30 minutes away.  She helps me shower and dress, does laundry, runs the vacuum and dusts, cleans my bathroom, and helps with food preparation.

We were supposed to close on our condo on Friday, but the mortgage is still in underwriting, so probably will move to early next week. We walked through with our realtor Kris Hanahan and a contractor last week to discuss renovations but haven't received his estimates yet.  I estimated it myself and came up with $86K to redo the kitchen, master bath, replace sliding glass door to the patio with a French door,  paint everywhere, replace all flooring, add a fireplace, and window treatments.

I had another fall last Thursday night in the bathroom around 11:30 as I was getting ready for bed.  I  did something stupid!  I was standing in the middle of the bathroom not holding onto anything or leaning against anything trying to put a fresh piece of tape on my stomach to hold the feeding tube. I had pulled up my shirt, grabbed a piece of tape and was looking down at my stomach trying to tape it on when I lost my balance.  Fortunately I fell sideways into the shower instead of the sink and granite countertop!  I fell into the shower curtain before falling to the floor of the low entry shower, bruising my hip and wrenching my left shoulder.  Fortunately Kim heard me and came charging upstairs to my rescue!

Ellen came for weekly visit on Friday and KC and Paul came for a visit Saturday afternoon.  It was  beautiful out both days so we spent some time both days on the patio catching some  rays!

After 2 attempts to have a king mattress delivered ASAP to replace the waterbed, Kim has a new bed to sleep on!  We were able to reuse the bed frame and got box springs and a new king pillow top mattress delivered and the waterbed removed for less than $800 from Tubbies Waterbed within 24 hours of ordering after the first company failed to deliver on Tuesday as promised.

My dad and I were debating a trip to Boston this weekend but decided to postpone until June when Kim can go with us and cousin Hilary will be home visiting from Ireland.  We will celebrate my birthday and Fathers Day while we are there and Hilary's birthday is June 24th so we will celebrate her as well!

The 2015 Hershey ALS Walk for the Cure is 3.5 weeks away on June 6.  I sent a goodbye and thank you email to my Baker colleagues yesterday and several people have signed up as a result.  My family is coming in town from Denver, Charlotte, Grand Junction, and Kansas City.  With my mom, brothers Forest and Chuck, Chuck's wife Leigh, sons Elijah and Benjamin, daughter Amelia, Aunt Geneva, and cousins Frank and Loraine, there will be a boatload of the Knudsons/Cooleys as well as the Harrises there to support us.

My physical condition is worse this week.  I am having trouble standing up from a sitting position, and my legs, arms, and hands are weaker.  I grieve for my lost capabilities that people take for granted.  Jeans window in the family room overlooks Westerly Parkway and there are always people walking dogs, running and bicycling along the sidewalks.  What I wouldn't give to be able to join them!  It is time to think about a hospital bed, wheelchair, and lift chair and the additional help I I'll need as I continue to get weaker.

My friend Ellen talked to her pastor and I will email her to set up a time to come for a visit next week.

Mentally and emotionally I am doing okay.  The Skypes with family, visits from friends, and emails do a lot to cheer me up and raise my spirits.  Kim and I try hard to be happy for each other but it is difficult some days. It is difficult to be happy when all you can do is sit and read, go online, or watch Tv.w

No comments:

Post a Comment