Friday, May 15, 2015

I Love to Read Books with Flawed Main Characters!

I mentioned previously that I am rereading many of my all time favorite series of fiction books.  They all have one thing in common - a flawed main character who rises to the occasion and surpasses their own limitations and expectations.  What does that say about my character?  I was hooked by the first book in each series!

I am currently halfway through book 7 of the 10 book Chronicles of Thomas Covenant fantasy series by Stephen R. Donaldson.  Thomas Covenant is a leper.  The first book was published in 1977 and the last one in 2013.  Before that I read Mordant's Need, a 2-volume series by Donaldson with Geraden as the main character.  Geraden can't do anything right.  Donaldson also has a 5-book series (The Gap) based in Outer Space.  The Gap is very dark and I don't recommend for teenagers.

Other series and authors that I love and am planning to reread:
Opus, Berkeley Breathed - okay, Opus is a cartoon character who can't fly but you gotta love the humor!  Dilbert is another favorite!
Odd Thomas, Dean Koontz - Odd sees dead people and the first book was made into a movie
Fortress Series, C. J. Cherryh - Tristen becomes a sorcerer eventually
Stephanie Plum, Janet Evanovich - if I was drinking something while reading about the misadventures of Stephanie and Lula I would have snorted it out my nose!  I laugh out loud!
Bernie and Chet Series, Spencer Quinn - detective mysteries told from the viewpoint of canine crime solver Chet the Jet
A Game Of Thrones, George R.R. Martin - Also very dark and not for teenagers!  I was a fan after the first book, which was released long before this series became popular on Showtime!  With 2 books left to finish the series and George's health issues I'm not certain that either of us will be around to finish the last book.  All of the characters are flawed but my favorite characters are Bran and Arya Stark, Jon Snow, and Tyrion Lannister.

Already read in addition to those listed above:
Christopher Snow series, Dean Koontz - Chris has XP and can only come out of his house at night

I have many other authors I have enjoyed collecting and reading which I will talk about in a future post.

This past weekend was the AAUW used book sale at PSU and this was the first year I didn't go in many years.  I usually take my alphabetized missing books list for each author and try to fill in the gaps.  Paperbacks range from $0.50-$2 and hardbacks from $2-$4, and the sale is always Mother's Day Weekend.  If you live within 100 miles and are a book lover like me, this sale is not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment