Saturday, May 2, 2015

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up

Thursday night I went to the bathroom to get ready for bed after Jean was already in bed and Kim went downstairs to get ready for bed.  I went into the recliner room to read and somehow lost my balance after I let go of my rollator walker.  It was a slow motion fall.  As my legs gave way I ended up partway in the desk chair and thought I might catch myself, but then fell off the seat and onto the floor, rolling backward.  My head hit the carpet gently and missed the desk, fortunately.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get off the floor.  I tried pounding on the floor with my heels as my fists don't generate much force these days.  I tried yelling, but Jean's door was closed with the TV on and Kim was in the bathroom running water.  I sent Kim an email expecting she would check her account on her iPad downstairs before turning off the lights and going to sleep.

I was eventually able to wriggle around so that my back was against the recliner, and tried to use the chair get my knees under me so I could use the chair to stand up, but my arms and legs were too weak.  I continued yelling and pounding on the floor with my heels.

After what seemed like 30 minutes, but was probably only 15, I was starting to think I would spend the night on the floor.  Eventually Kim heard me pounding on the floor and came to my rescue.  We were able to get me on my knees after several attempts and then get me up and into the recliner after which I had an emotional breakdown.  Eventually I calmed down and Kim made me take a lorazepam to help.   After  we cried and commiserated for a while I sent her back down to bed and told her I loved her and would be okay.

That night I placed an Amazon order for a waist belt to make it easier to lift me and a panic button I can wear around my neck that will notify someone in the house that I need assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment