Monday, June 2, 2014

What Beautiful Weather!

Kim and I really enjoyed the weekend - the weather was incredible.  I started my weekend on Friday by having lunch at Ho Wah's with my dear friend Pat Hardenstine.  We're been there for each other over the past few years and she always makes me laugh!  I'm very excited that she and Aaron are going to New Zealand for 3 weeks this summer to visit Al, and then coming back by way of Hawaii.  I am envious, but very excited for you!

Kim and I sat out on the back patio both Saturday and Sunday afternoons to catch some rays.  It was hot, but there was a nice breeze blowing.  It was a little cloudier on Sunday than Saturday, but both were amazing days.  Today was just as nice.  I'm hoping that the weather gods save some for Saturday morning! :)

We never left the house all weekend, just did some work around the house.  I'm still going through boxes in the basement trying to get 30 years of "stuff" straightened around..  I have recycled a lot of things either by taking them to work or donating them.  I decided not to throw away my old college class notes but to reread some of them. 

After I dropped back in to WVU in 1982 after working for the C&P Telephone Company for three years, I made a real effort to attend every class and even rewrote my notes very neatly every day. I decided after working 2 years in a warehouse and climbing telephone poles and humping cable across the mountainsides of Boone County as a lineman that I could put a lot more effort into my college classes than I did during my party years from 1977-1979.  My notes are very clear and easy to read and understand, and it will be fun to revisit my geology and physics classes, since I haven't used either one very much over the last 27 years.  I especially loved Mineralogy and Dr. Milton Heald.

 I decided to start opening and enjoying the bottles on the lower levels of my wine fridge instead of saving all of them for the future.  Last night I finished a very nice bottle of 2006 Spanish Rioja from Lacrimus,  It was rated 90 by Wine Advocate, and I paid $13 for it 6 years ago.  I had 4 glasses over 4 nights, and each was just as good as the last one.  It drank very nicely with BBQ Chicken from the grill, a hamburger, a stromboli, and a steak. We're going to have to start inviting some friends over to share in the bounty!

Plans for visiting family in the fall are starting to come together.  We're driving down June 12 to see Mom in Charleston.  Chuck is flying up from Charlotte for the weekend on June 26.  August 9th we're all getting together for a Knudson Family Reunion in North Carolina at a cabin near Grandfather Mountain. And if things work out, Chuck and I will fly out to Denver to spend some time with Forest in September.

Today was another good day at work.  I helped rewrite the PennDOT Next Generation GIS ArcGIS Online (PennShare) white paper, which Frank, Bob, John, and I finished up this morning.  I had a good day working on HPMS also.  I addressed all of the Import Validations and starting working on the Cross Validations and Coverage Validations data changes, plus rewrote several more of the validation stored procedures to make them simpler and run faster with the new Oracle Backend data changes.  After the PNG working meeting this morning I stopped by to see my good friend Phil Tomassini and we had a very nice chat.  Phil and I are going to lunch in a few weeks.

Going to bed early tonight to read - was up late last night working on the PennShare white paper.  Tomorrow will be my first time back in the Baker office over the last 2 weeks - will be nice to see my Baker family!

Life is good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment