Friday, June 6, 2014

True Friendship

Hello, faithful readers.   Thanks for continuing to follow along, and for your continued prayers, support, and friendship.  I thought I had posted a new article midweek, but obviously not.  I guess I have been slacking a bit.

Tomorrow is the Hershey ALS Walk for the Cure, starting at 10AM.  In three weeks time since we decided to form a team, we have raised more than $3000 and are expecting at least 22 walkers tomorrow!  Woo Hoo!  Thanks to everyone who is taking time away from their families and busy summer weekend to spend a few hours with Kim and I and to help the cause!  It's not too late to donate or walk - just go to my TEAM JFK page and you can sign up to walk or make a donation.  The weather is supposed to be beautiful - sunny and in the 80's by the afternoon.

I posted on my May 15 blog about my friend Brian Hart's attempt to climb Mount Denali in Alaska.  The weather has been brutal the past 3 weeks, with very high winds up to 100mph gusts, and snow almost every day.  The 5-man team Brian was part of had until this past Wednesday to achieve the summit.  Three of the men were able to reach the summit, but my friend Brian did not feel he could make it safely and didn't want to add risk to the team.  As a result, Brian decided to not attempt the summit, which would have required a 6000' vertical ascent over 2 days.  They have been acclimating to higher altitudes at about 2000' intervals over a period of several days, climbing and caching their equipment and supplies at the higher altitude, then retreating back to their previous camp before moving camp to the higher altitude.

Brian's best friend and climbing companion, Kirk, decided that if Brian wasn't going to attempt the summit that he wouldn't either.  After all, he and Brian went to Denali to climb it together, and he wasn't going to leave his friend at camp by himself for two days.  After almost three weeks of extreme cold, extreme effort, and extreme adventure at the top of the world, Kirk decided that his friendship meant more to him than reaching the goal.  That is the measure of true friendship, when you are willing to give up your primary goal for the sake of your friend.  I am disappointed for them that they weren't able to achieve the summit, but I am glad that good sense prevailed, and that they are coming home safely.  I credit Brian for his good sense to listen to his body, weigh the risks, and make the right decision.  And I credit Kirk for his true friendship!  They are on their way back down the mountain, soon to be home.  I can't wait to hear their stories and see their pictures!

I have friends like Kirk, also.  Many of my friends I met in kindergarten or first grade.  Some of you I don't see as often as I would like to, but I know that when we get together, it is like we have never been apart.  I look forward to seeing some of you in Charleston next weekend when we come down to visit my mom!

Please send your prayers for a good day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment