Monday, May 12, 2014

Diagnosis ALS

My first symptoms started in early November 2013, just after I got my annual flu shot at work on my Anniversary, 10/24.  I woke up one morning, and my speech was slurred and I noticed muscle spasms in my face and neck at night when I was sleeping or waking. 

I thought it was related to my stress at work and maybe the flu shot.  I told my doctor as much.  We decided to wait and see if it cleared up.  I started googling slurred speech and its causes and found lots of things  it could be, but I never figured it would be ALS.  I didn't know that ALS has a form called Bulbar, that tends to start above the shoulders.  I just learned that about 1/3 of ALS diagnoses start this way, the other 2/3 start in lower limbs like arms, hands and legs.

Of course I procrastinated going to see the doctor.  I'm a mutt of Norwegian and English/Irish descent, so I am stubborn and hardheaded - just ask my wife Kim or my family.  I have the usual stubborn streak for a Knudson - a mile wide and a mile deep.  We were dealing with my father-in-law's nursing home stay and driving to State College from Mechanicsburg every weekend to help with Bill Harris at Hearthside and Jean at home and had been for 16 months at that point.  Work was crazy, lots of projects, some that needed to be done by year end, and lots of hours on weekday evenings and weekends. 

I saw my doctor again before our week in Jamaica with family and friends at an all inclusive resort.  We agreed that if my relaxation didn't fix my problem that we would go the next step and refer me to a neurologist.  I though at first it was better during the early part of the week, but it was back and getting worse again by week end.  I went back to Dr. Young the following week and he gave me a neurology referral.

Dr. Young sent me to a very good neurologist at the new PinnacleHealth West Shore Campus, Dr. Liana Laza.  Dr. Laza told me that based on my symptoms she thought I could have the Bulbar form of the disease.  She helped prepare me for the eventual diagnosis so that confirmation wasn't as difficult as it might otherwise have been.  Three weeks after my initial visit, I went back to Dr. Laza for an EMG test.  The lower portion of my body was good, but she couldn't get a reading with the electrode on my partially paralyzed tongue.  So, a referral to Hershey Med Center and the Neurological Center, which also has an ALS Clinic.

I saw Dr. Velazquez (de Espana) and Dr. Simmons Thursday morning 5/8 for over an hour.  They ordered blood tests across the street and asked me to come back at 12:15 for another EMG test.  This one was conclusive, and they diagnosed Bulbar ALS based on the fasciculations they saw on the EMG machine.  A fasciculation is a non-normal electrical response from the nervous system, a misfiring, if you will.

Seven months later, work hasn't slowed down much, if any.  I have about 7 different projects/initiatives I am involved in between 4 different clients and have been spending three to four days a week onsite at PennDOT since February with a project that has to be completed in June so that the Department can submit their annual mileage and roadway information to FHWA.

I am a workaholic.  I admit it.  I have lived to work instead of working to LIVE.  That changed last week on Thursday when I was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS.  While things are still crazy for the moment, I have to make time for myself, my loving wife Kim, my family, and my friends.  That means making lots of plans immediately for the next 2 years and making lots of lasting memories for the rough days that will be ahead - both for me and my family and friends. 

I have a positive outlook, and I think I am a strong man, but my faith, my body, my patience, and my loves, family, and friends will likely be tested in the years to come.

Next: Speech Pathologist on Wednesday morning this week.


6 comments:

  1. Jim
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is truly remarkable how social networks have made a positive impact on charitable giving and public awareness on ALS. You and your family are in my prayers! Please let me know if you need anything.
    Jim Marshall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Hope to stop by Geo/Gannett for a visit someday soon.

      Delete
    2. I was diagnosed of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) in summer of 2018, my symptoms started out with a “foot drop” on my left foot, from there my left leg lost all muscle tone followed by slurred speech and inability to eat without getting choked, strangled, and coughing. My neurologist prescribed me some medications to help my symptoms but the medications did no good and their side effects were too severe. In 2019 i started using Peter ALS Herbal formula treatment, I read a lot of positive reviews on their success rate with the ALS Herbal treatment and I immediately started on the treatment. Just 10 weeks into the ALS Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with my coordination, speech, breathing and muscle movements. I have basically gone stronger than I'd thought I could ever be again. having similar symptoms? send a message to them at peterwiseherbalcenter@gmail.com or whatsapp Dr Peter directly on +2349059610643 . The fatigue and general muscle weakness had also declined, this treatment is nothing less of a miracle!
















































































































      Delete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from the dreaded ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he had difficulty swallowing, all his joints were dead and that made him immobile to mention but a few. we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure in 2015. I never imagined ALS has a cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in three months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on josephalberteo@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called Dr.EBHOTA. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor EBHOTA cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i was having no hope of been cured of HERPES so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on
    his Email: drebhotasolution@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482 and get all your problem solved.
    1Sickness of any kind
    2 Help to CURE Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDs CANCER and BIPOLAR
    3 Divorce, Breakup problem and To Re-unit
    4 Pregnancy problem
    5 Financial problem and Job promotion
    6 To get a good and rich life partner
    7 To Lose your wath
    8 to enlargement of pennis
    9. CANCER
    10. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
    11 Hepatitis B
    12 chronic pancreatic
    13 emphysema
    14 COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)   

    ReplyDelete