Sunday, August 3, 2014

Rained Out!

Mel and I were supposed to do a tandem skydive this afternoon at Maytown in Lancaster County  but they called this morning and indicated that both the morning and afternoon jumps were cancelled due to weather.  We'll have to reschedule in a few weekends. 

I went to the store this afternoon and Kim and I started cooking for our NC trip to see the Knudson clan next weekend.  I am making a large batch of chicken burritos and Kim made spaghetti sauce.  I need to buy some parmesan cheese so that I can make my chicken parmesan breading mix and make some chicken parm cutlets to take with us.  I still have to make salsa. 

Don and Helen indicated they were bringing some fresh Gulf shrimp which we can have one night and a pork roast that they will fix with some summer vegetables - corn, butter beans, tomatoes, etc.  As always when the Knudson clan gets together, we will eat well!

 I am enjoying not doing any work on the weekends!  I am currently reading one of the books I bought at the AAUW book sale by one of the science fact/futurist authors I really like, David Brin.  This one is called "Existence" and is set in the future when the Internet and AI are more prevalent, something called "AwfulDay" happened in the past where radioactive dust was spread over many cities worldwide, including Washington, D.C., global warming has melted the ice caps and flooded the coasts,  humankind is struggling to exist, and an alien artifact is found in high earth orbit that proves the existence of extraterrestrials.  It took me about 50 pages to really get into it and get used to the futurist jargon, but now I am having trouble putting it down. The Sunday paper didn't arrive until about 8:30, so I read about 70 pages this morning sitting in the sun room.  :)  I read Kiln People earlier this year by DB and really enjoyed it also.

I worked some more in the basement yesterday cleaning out boxes and have a tremendous pile of papers and notebooks to recycle. In cleaning out my bookshelves and recycling papers I was able to free up enough space to rearrange my book collection yesterday, also.  I collect and read many authors, and each year I take a list of books I need to complete my collections to the annual AAUW sale.  What a wonderful time!  I have enjoyed reading books on my iPad, but nothing beats holding one in your hands or lap and turning the pages!

Now that my project at PennDOT has been completed I have a lot of work to do for the Turnpike this week.  My evenings this week I'll finish getting food ready and try to finish up all of my remaining thank you notes before we leave Friday to pick up mom in Charleston and then drive down to NC to see the rest of the family. 

Below are the professional pictures of Team JFK from the 2014 Hershey Walk for the Cure.  Several people have asked if they can contribute.  The Team JFK page is still accepting donations and can be accessed on the Walk for the Cure website.  Several people have donated in recent weeks, and I thank everyone for their support!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment