Wednesday, August 27, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I know there is some controversy surround the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.  Some people don't think we should waste the water, others don't think it is healthy, others think it is a silly fad.

As a Person living with ALS (PALS), I understand the criticisms and skepticism.  But the good that this initiative is doing in raising awareness of ALS, raising funding for ALS research, and raising the spirits of PALS and their families is quite simply amazing.  ALS is not a well-known disease.  Only 5600 people are diagnosed in the U.S. each year, and only 12,000 people in the U.S. die from it each year.  Compared to the number of people stricken with cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's, the numbers are small, but the disease is devastating.  To date, the donations have been small also.  This social media campaign is significantly changing that and has raised more awareness and money in a few short weeks than have been raised in several years for ALS research!

Many of my friends and co-workers didn't know what ALS was.  Most people that knew about the disease were either family members of a PALS or their friends.

I want to take a minute and thank all of the people who have taken the Ice Bucket Challenge or donated to the ALS Association as a result of it on my behalf:
  • Amy Burgett (my sister)
  • Andrea Marsters
  • Matt DiBerardino
  • Paul Torchia
  • Roger and Tara Petrilli
  • Jamie Legenos
  • Drew Waggener
  • Matt Tharp
  • Dan and Jen Szekeres
  • Scott Pezanowski
  • Dave, Julie, and Olivia Spokane
  • Sara Busse
  • Susan Madgwick
  • Linda Vose
  • Andy Welcomer
  • Lisa Clark
  • Client Solution Architects - Mechanicsburg Office (Kim's company) - Kim, Steve,  Celeste, Jeff, Greg, Brenda, Elizabeth, Yvette, and Tina
  • Client Solution Architects - Philadelphia and Tom's River Offices
  • Paul Yatabe
If there are any I missed, I apologize (and please let me know so that I can add you to the list).   I love you all for your support, participation, and donations and for raising awareness of ALS!

I was challenged by Amy Burgett but haven't yet fulfilled my obligation.  I will rectify that this weekend, and Kim and I will also make another large donation to ALSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment