Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Feeding Tube and Diaphragm Pacer

I was at Hershey today to talk to the dietitian and consult with the physical therapist about my legs and my falls.  My weight has dropped and working fulltime it is difficult to maintain it.  I talked to the doctor again about the surgery for a feeding tube and diaphragm pacer and decided to go for it.
 
PT suggested that I buy a lightweight can for stability.  Also tried a splint that fits in your shoe and straps around the calf to see if it might stabilize my walking.  Walked fine with both and felt a little more stable.
 
ALS patients live longer if they can maintain their weight and maintain their breathing (and don't fall and injure themselves).  The feeding tube will make eating less of a chore and the diaphragm pacer should keep my breathing as good as it can be for the long term.  I was concerned whether I could still get in the water at the beach but the doctor assured me that was possible with both devices.
 
I have to take two lab tests next week to make sure my diaphragm is still working well enough for the pacer device.  Then w e will be able to schedule the outpatient surgery.  I will likely be off work for at least a week to give things time to start healing.
 
I feel like it will be difficult to continue working fulltime once I have the surgery, but we'll see how it goes.  I can't imagine taking off my shirt at work to use the feeding tube.  The pacer has an external box that has to be carried.
 
My good friend Eric J.  stopped in for a visit yesterday and we had a nice talk.  I think of Eric as my older brother, someone I respect, a great role model, willing to help others, and who has the best interests of the commonwealth at heart.  While we were talking in my office overlooking the Susquehanna River he noticed something walking across the ice near one of the islands and when we used the binoculars I keep in my office, it turned out to be a large red fox.  Quite a treat!
 
Our house is now listed and had one showing already.  Hoping that it sells quickly.  The virtual tour turned out very nice: http://Tours.360tourdesigns.com/438837 
 
Kim's last day on her old job was today and she starts her new job at PSU in State College on 2/2.  It will be difficult to get out of bed and go to work tomorrow morning while she sleeps in!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment