Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thanksgiving Update

Kim and I drove down to Charlotte to brother Chuck's house to spend Thanksgiving with Chuck, Leigh, Elijah, Benjamin, Amelia, mom Margaret, and dad Don.  Dad flew up from Pensacola.  Unfortunately his wife Helen was not able to join us and Forest couldn't get any time off to join us from Denver.

We had planned to leave early Wednesday morning but with the forecast for an East Coast winter storm, we decided to leave Tuesday afternoon after working a partial day.  Traffic was very heavy and we didn't get to our motel in Roanoke, VA until 5+ hours after we left Mechanicsburg.  It was a long drive after work and in the dark, but we made it.  We were both exhausted by the time we got there. 

We slept in the next morning thinking it would be an easy 3 hour drive to Charlotte, but the winter storm caught up with us and we drove through blinding snow for 3 hours before losing enough elevation to leave the storm behind us.  There were numerous wrecks and 8 deer ran across the road just in front of us during the snowstorm.  It took us a total of 5 hours to get to Charlotte around 3PM.

Mom and the kids were there when we arrived. We passed Leigh on her way to pick up dad at the airport.  Chuck got off work and was home around 6pm, so we could celebrate being together again.  Amelia was kind enough to allow us to sleep in her bedroom, and Elijah and Benjamin gave theirs up for dad.

Chuck brined a 25 pound turkey, and it was delicious!  We had quite a spread for Thanksgiving with Turkey, Ham, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, dressing, cranberry sauce and cranberry relish.




We had a short but very nice visit with everyone!   I communicated using my iPad and Proloquo4text software so that people could understand me.  On Friday we drove over to see Chuck's optometry practice and the entire family decorated their Christmas tree in the evening after dinner. We missed Forest and Helen but hope to see them in the next few months.  Forest has a week off at the beginning of March, so we'll see what we can figure out.






Saturday morning we left Chuck's around 9:30 for the long drive home.  Lots of traffic but better weather this time, and it took us about 9 hours overall.  A long day, but we were very glad to be home and sleeping in our king size bed and to have a day to recover before heading back to work!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are getting to spend so much time together. And your mother seems very happy in her new home! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) in summer of 2018, my symptoms started out with a “foot drop” on my left foot, from there my left leg lost all muscle tone followed by slurred speech and inability to eat without getting choked, strangled, and coughing. My neurologist prescribed me some medications to help my symptoms but the medications did no good and their side effects were too severe. In 2019 i started using Peter ALS Herbal formula treatment, I read a lot of positive reviews on their success rate with the ALS Herbal treatment and I immediately started on the treatment. Just 10 weeks into the ALS Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with my coordination, speech, breathing and muscle movements. I have basically gone stronger than I'd thought I could ever be again. having similar symptoms? send a message to them at peterwiseherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp Dr Peter directly on +2349059610643 . The fatigue and general muscle weakness had also declined, this treatment is nothing less of a miracle!

    ReplyDelete