Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Tribute to Don Farrell

I wrote in one of my earlier blog postings about my friend Don Farrell, whom I worked with at PA DEP and who I walked with/for in the ALS Walk for the Cure in 2011.

I finally got around to reading all of Don's Blog postings and am going to buy his eBook.  Don passed away in late 2013.  His blog website is: Love is Real.  It is well worth a read.  Don was a master wordsmith and an active advocate for ALS.  RIP, my friend.

I had a very nice lunch on Monday with my new friend Teri J.  We talked about working for the Commonwealth and OA/OIT and I shared information with her that I hope will help her with her interview this week as CIO for one of the state agencies. 

Down to my last few days at PennDOT on the HPMS project.  I have one day planned next week and that should be it unless they request some additional support before 7/31.  When I was leaving yesterday I walked through the PennDOT lobby and visited the agencies at the state Innovation Council presentations.  I stopped and talked to my PennDOT friends in their booth/display.  As I was walking through the agency booths, I heard someone call my name and turned around to see my old friend Mike R., who I learned is now Deputy Secretary for Procurement at DGS.  Also saw my friends Earl S. and Craig S. from DCNR and Heather from PEMA.  I had hoped to get down at lunchtime to see who was there but was too busy of a day to get away.

Not sure what we're doing this weekend.  I feel I should do some more cleanup work in the basement - I have the carpet filled with piles of papers, photos, and other things that need to be looked at and either tossed for filed.  Should plan something fun, also.

Our planned trip to NC for the Knudson family reunion got a little more challenging.  Chuck and Leigh sold their house and are closing on the new house the Monday after our weeklong trip.  Chuck has asked us to stop by and pick up mom on the way down and take her home also so that they can focus on packing and moving.  Otherwise Chuck would have to spend 16 hours in the car to drive up from Charlotte to Charleston to pick her up and return to Charlotte, and repeat the round trip to take her home.  Our original drive down was straight down I-81 and less than 8 hours.  Our modified trip will be 9.5 hours instead of 7.25 hours.  Kim is dreading the extra time in the car (not a good rider), but I don't see much of a choice.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment