Monday, February 22, 2016

February Update

It has been a log time since I posted an update because I have had difficulty using the eye gaze system and I have been depressed for many months. 

I received my own eye gaze system about six weeks ago and Jessica and Megan from PSU came over a couple weeks later to help adjust it and it was working great.  Then the lady from PRC came in to pick up her loaner and try to make it work with the floor stand we bought, but it didn't work with my lift chair recliner where I spend my days. 

So I am still using my tray table and table stand but she messed up the positioning Jessica had perfected.  Every time I get up or reposition have to recalibrate and depending on the height, angle, tilt and glare dictates whether I get a good calibration or not.  If I don't get a good calibration then I can't access all the keyboard or all of the screen which frustrates me quickly.  Usually all I can do then is use the kindle reader.

I stopped eating at the end of November when I started wearing as much as I was able to swallow because I was no longer able to move the food from the front of my mouth  to  the back of my mouth.  I am still able to drink my Perrier. 

I also had an emotional breakdown at the end of November.  After spending four months in Bill's mancave and only a window that looks at the house next door and mostly blocked by a shrub I was sick of being isolated and staring at the same four walls.  So we moved my recliner out to the family  room where I am not isolated and have lots of windows to look out.  Waiting for our house to be completed has been more tolerable as a result.

Physically a lot has changed.  The muscles in my arms and legs continue to atrophy as he family roomy motor neurons die.  I can make small contractual movements but cannot lift them or extend them.  I cannot move my fingers at all  My cheeks have weakened so my mouth won't stay shut.  My mouth dries out quickly resulting in dried saliva leaving a sticky film on my teeth, tongue, and roof of my mouth.  During the night this becomes more of a problem when my mouth, throat and airways dry out and I start coughing until someone (Kim) has to get up, swab my mouth, and give me a drink.

My teeth and jaws continue to be a problem as my lower teeth are now digging into the roof of my mouth and shredding the gums behind my upper teeth.

My neck muscles have gotten very weak over the last few months to the point I cannot hold my head up.  This makes it more difrficult to use the eye gaze with the table stand.  I use a neck brace when I am on the toilet but it doesn't work well and my neck is often torqued at a large angle to the right when the aides don't set me squarely on the commode, which occurs 90% of the time.

I still experience constant muscle tremors and spasms in all of my muscles.  Lately my  eyes have been affected, making it that much more difficult to use the computer.

Dick's medical came by to let me try a head array to try to operate my power wheelchair but my neck doesn't have enough strength or mobility to operate the switches that control on\/off and chair mode selection (speed, up /down seat control, etc.).  I have pretty much given up on being able to operate the chair independently.

The house is getting closer to completion still waiting for kitchen and bathroom sinks and countertops.  Hopefully we will move in by the end of   March.  What we hoped would be an 8-week renovation will end being an 8-month ordeal. 

We are going to install some ceiling lifts to reduce and hopefully eliminate manual transfers that are hard on me and the aides.  I can barely lock my knees for a second or two before they start to buckle and the two aides have to bear my entire weight.   A round trip to the bathroom requires four manual transfers.














6 comments:

  1. And through all of this, you still have the most amazing attitude. Still able to make a joke, laugh through goofy difficult moments and make the best of every day. Truly inspirational my brother :) Love you! Glad I have this time with you this week. Doesn't happen often enough for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was diagnosed of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) in summer of 2018, my symptoms started out with a “foot drop” on my left foot, from there my left leg lost all muscle tone followed by slurred speech and inability to eat without getting choked, strangled, and coughing. My neurologist prescribed me some medications to help my symptoms but the medications did no good and their side effects were too severe. In 2019 i started using Peter ALS Herbal formula treatment, I read a lot of positive reviews on their success rate with the ALS Herbal treatment and I immediately started on the treatment. Just 10 weeks into the ALS Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with my coordination, speech, breathing and muscle movements. I have basically gone stronger than I'd thought I could ever be again. having similar symptoms? send a message to them at peterwiseherbalcenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp Dr Peter directly on +2349059610643 . The fatigue and general muscle weakness had also declined, this treatment is nothing less of a miracle!






































































      Delete
  2. Some patients find a real hospital bed is invaluable at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Karen from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic ALS,for more than 23 years , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly had muscle weakness and difficulty speaking ,this ailment was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 23 years, this was really a terrible ailment ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs kate on how her husband was been cured from als through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine, i used it as prescribed by dr williams and i was totally cured within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign or characteristics again . for more information you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete