Saturday, July 11, 2015

A busy month!

Two trips last month took its toll on Kim and me but wouldn't have missed either one!  Thank you everyone who walked and/or donated to the Hershey ALS Walk and supported us from afar!  And it was wonderful to have the Cooleys join us for a Godby family reunion.  While we saw Aunt Geneva and Cousin Frank in Grand Junction last September we had not seen Cousin Loraine for almost 30 years.

My hands don't work well these days as my right hand is a claw and my right index finger no longer is straight enough to type.  As a result I have not sent any thank you notes and it is harder to write blog posts with a singLe finger.  I can no longer hold the larger iPad Air so I bought an iPad mini that is lighter and has a smaller keyboard for one finger typing.

THe Boston triptwo weeks later amounted to a Knudson family reunion and was the first time in.many years that we were all.together.  My butt hurt for 2 weeks after the long train rides.

In between the 2 trips we spent a weekday running all over town to HealthSouth for a power wheelchair evaluation, to the doctor, to Dicks Medical to select a lift chair, and an evening visit to the PA GIS Conference InfoSwap happy hour where we were graciously welcomed by many friends, former coworkers, and the Pennsylvania a geospatial community.  It was heartwarming to be received and supported by so many colleagues and your outpouring of love and kindness.  Thank you! Special thanks to Eric for honoring me and to Ashis for driving up just to see me!

A lift chair was delivered last week as I am having much more difficulty getting to my feet.  We have also increased hours for home healthcare aides to 3.5 days a week and 2 hours every weekday night to help get ready for and get into bed. This is week 11 of our long term care 12 week elimination period, so in 2 weeks we will no longer be paying out of pocket for the aides.

At my last doctors visit I requested physical therapy and occupational therapy and both were approved by insurance and started last week.  In addition we are ordering a Hoyer lift nsow as I have had some more falls recently and it is difficult to get me off the floor.   Thank goodness I have such a hard head!


No comments:

Post a Comment